Monday 22 February 2016

Looking... Really Looking

For my photography project I needed to look at crowds, strangers and big cities. So off I went to Waterloo station where I wandered around and snapped away, hoping no one would ask me to turn the camera off! My goal was to experiment with capturing the journeys strangers were experiencing around me, I thought I’d share my outcome.



I love this long exposure effect you can create using a really slow shutter speed, it seems to capture the movement and flow of the train station so well. 




I decided to make everything black and white partly because of the photographer that inspired this shoot, but also because it appears to remove some of the clutter that colour can bring to a photo. It lets the eye focus on lines and angles that make a photo. 


Looking back at the photos it amazes me how little I'd paid attention to the station when visiting previously; the clash of old architecture next to shiny new flat screens. 
Even the shot above seems to have something interesting about it. The sign is nothing special and yet it's signs & directions like this that are a crucial part of the journey through Waterloo station and beyond. 
Since this photography project is all about 'the journey', these thoughts should all hopefully lead somewhere. But outside of course work I'm going to try and appreciate the smaller details around me when I'm out and about. It might make unexciting travel that little more exciting. 

 Georgina 


4 comments:

  1. I really love the outcome of this! I like how you played a little with your shutter speed and you got this 'rushing' effect :) Keep up your work!

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL photos my friend, put mine to shame :P love your no. 1 fan (I realise I've never actually commented... so had to rectify this fact.) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO MUCH no.1 friend, your comment is much appreciated :)))))

      Delete