Sunday 4 October 2015

3 Staple Camera Lenses


There's just something about buying and having a choice of camera lenses that appeals to me. The whole process of reading reviews of the best ones online to then switching between them myself, it's a very satisfying (and slightly pricey!) hobby. I thought I'd show you around my stash today, for any camera techie readers out there, or for someone that wants to dip in and try out. 



So to start with this is my beloved camera, a Nikon D5100 Digital SLR with flip screen - which comes in super handy, especially for any macro photography when you're down on the ground. In my opinion, lower budget Nikon cameras are much easier to navigate than a Canon for someone like me who learnt all the technical jazz after getting this camera. It's not that small, you could fit it in a backpack if you attached a smallish lens, but it's big enough to handle nicely and feel like a 'propah' camera. 



This Nikkor 18-105mm AF-S lens came with my camera and it's the one I stick to for landscapes or shots that don't need a small depth of field. I snapped a photo below so you can compare the type of image these lenses produce, you can see from this one that you can get a pretty wide angle shot without having to stand too far back from the subject. If you want to see what kind of shots it can take click here.  


This second lens, a Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.8 is my newest addition and I honestly don't know how I survived without one! Great for taking photos of people and food, you can get a really small depth of field, so you achieve that lovely soft effect that looks professional and flattering in photos and videos. It's also pretty mini so great for days out when you want to keep things easy to carry. This photo above was taken from the same position as the previous lens, you can see how it's much more zoomed in than the wide-angle and has a much softer effect. You can click here and here if you want to see how this lens looks in video. 


This is the Sigma 105mm macro f2.8 lens, my final and most treasured lens. Gorgeous for when you want a sharp and detailed image of anything really small. The photo above doesn't do it any justice, but it lets you see how zoomed in the image is when the camera is in the same position as previously. If you want to see what kind of shots it can take I'll link some herehere and here.  

Hopefully this was helpful or just interesting to read, I do love a good techie chat from time to time. Any staple lenses you want to share? I'd love to hear. 
Georgina

3 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post. I am planning on buying a new camera, a DSLR one. So this was very informative for me :) Thanks for sharing, Georgina!

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final image your camera captures is highly dependent upon not only selecting the right camera lens, but also opting for quality camera lenses. Best Buy has a great selection of the camera lenses you need to capture the perfect shot.

    ReplyDelete