Monday 2 November 2015

Small Things \\ Food Landscapes

These last few weeks I've been chopping up fruit and veg to create mini little forests scenes. They were a little tricky to set up at times, but so fun to do!
The first shoot I did was using broccoli as trees and chopping up the stalks to create a little path that leads the eye through the image. I couldn't resist doing some little doodles on the last two images, using this awesome app called Paper 53 ( best one I've found for drawing on an iPad ).







I wasn't really sure what the plan was with this set of photos. I just knew I wanted to use some carrots with the fancy leaves still on. I ended up making these two weird and wacky scenes that I kinda ended up liking.







This last shoot was probably the most technical, I wanted to be a bit more ambitious so I decided to use loaves of bread as rolling hills instead of a plain studio floor. I liked the idea of doing a winter wonderland scene with lovely candy floss trees. I added the wall in, made out of Liquorice Allsorts, I like how it disappears off the first hill and reappears on the second.
One thing I didn't think through was that the candy floss sort of loses its fluffiness after a while and so by the time I'd built the wall and but all the icing sugar on, the candy floss had crystalised! Still, no biggy though, a bit of Photoshop came in handy.




There are still a heap more from this last shoot that I haven't edited yet - reshaping candy floss trees takes longer than expected! Maybe I'll do another post with the finished images? (can't miss out the nougat snowman!) 

I'll link the artists I used as inspiration here and here so you can see how the pros do it!
Georgina

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Love these photographs, they look amazing and cute at the same time, especially the ones with doddles on them :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so creative! Must have taken a while to balance everything. Very cool :)

    Nat | Dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes haha I have to admit balancing the broccoli trees was a little frustrating, but worth it!

      Delete