Tuesday 3 February 2015

The Want For Yet More New Tech



As I sat today surrounded by a bunch of friends, it occurred to me that pretty much all of us had an iPhone. I piped up with this thought and before long we all had them on show, mocking my poor iPhone 4s, how small and slow it is compared to the brand-spanking-new 6 and 6plus. 
It seems there is always some big release going on for a gadget, unveiling yet another phone or laptop or TV. One that is always bigger, thinner and better than the previous. I only know of these big releases through advertising and as much as I want to deny it, the advertising works. Every time. As it did for most of the people I was sitting with at lunch today.
I must be feeling pretty observant today, which isn't normally the case, because looking back at our conversation we sounded so ungrateful. Waving these pieces of technology round in our hands only thinking about what we wanted to buy next.
As much as I want a new phone with a ginormous screen and a fancy finger ID button, I think it's healthy sometimes to take a step back from all the comparisons and pressures to need and want yet more things in our life, and realise what we have currently is just fine. Why not spend the money on something less irreplaceable?
Deep and meaningful ramblings complete.

-Georgina-

No comments:

Post a Comment